Kiwiberries? Yup, kiwiberries. If you’ve not seen these little treasures yet, you really must seek them out. They’re naturally sweet tiny little grape-sized bald baby kiwis! Plump little balls that burst with sweetly acidic flavour and are packed with vitamins and nutritional benefits. They’re not actually kiwis, but berries!
NERGI® kiwiberries have thin skin so are a portable and easy-to-eat version of kiwis. But these aren’t some sort of scary GM frankenfood. These centuries-old fruits originated in Asia and are now cultivated in France, Italy, Portugal and the Netherlands under the brand NERGI®. Here is a product introduction.
They are handpicked in September, so you should see the first crops arriving on your supermarket produce shelves soon. They are eaten skin-and-all and are best eaten when they are supple but not too soft. They are handy and easy to eat, so you can eat them as a portable snack, bake with them, add them to salads… Here are some other ways to eat them!
These zesty orange pancakes are vegan and gluten-free, and bursting with citrus flavour. They are filling so make a quick breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. I’ve used chia seeds to thicken the pancakes instead of eggs, almond milk instead of cow’s milk and I’ve whizzed some rolled oats into oat flour in my blender. They are super-easy to make and are customisable. The fruitberries add a punchy sweet zing to the batter and the orange juice and zest brings it all alive.
We love pancakes at my house. The kids are pros at making pancake batter now and often ask for them as a weekend treat. If we’re having breakfast-for-dinner, it’s often pancakes. We have all sorts of flavours, from spinach and cheese to banana and baobab, and these vegan and gluten-free orange ones are always popular.
- 100g (1 cup) oats (gluten-free if required)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- large pinch of salt
- 240ml (1 cup) unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 kiwiberries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive, rapeseed or coconut oil, for frying
- 5 kiwiberries, sliced
- Orange zest
- Whiz the oats in a blender or food processor until it turns into a fine flour. Transfer it into a large bowl and stir together with the chia seeds, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond milk, orange juice, maple syrup, orange zest and vanilla.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk to ensure there are no lumps. Allow to sit for 10 minutes for the chia seeds to thicken the batter.
- Gently stir in the chopped kiwiberries.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add the cooking oil. Spoon the batter into the hot oil and fry for a few minutes on each side until golden, then flip and cook the other side.
- Serve the pancakes topped with sliced kiwiberries, a sprinkling of orange zest and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Are you looking for more NERGI® Kiwiberry inspiration? Try these!
Ren’s Kiwiberry and Burrata Salad
Emily’s Vegan Kiwiberry Cheesecakes
Helen’s Kiwiberry Green Fruit Salad with Lemongrass Syrup
Disclosure: NERGI® and BuzzParadise sponsored this recipe post. I was given payment and fruitberries to create a recipe, but all opinions are my own.