Happy New Year! Now that all the craziness of Christmas and New Years is over I can stop and look back on the past year and my most popular recipes of 2015. It was an exciting year for me: I went full-time working for myself – on the blog, food writing for magazines and as a digital marketing consultant for brands. It’s a scary step, but I’m glad that I did it.
I began including breakfasts and main meals on my blog this year (all full of my beloved vegetables of course!) and since then I’ve been getting to work with a lot of major brands on recipe development. I’ve been thrilled to get the opportunity to work with brands like Expedia, Tefal, Sage, Riverford, Organix, Merchant Gourmet, Schwartz and others. I’m now working on long-term projects with a few big household name brands right through 2016, which is so exciting.
I also stepped right out of my comfort zone and taught a class about vegetable desserts at the renowned Demuths Cookery School in Bath. I was nervous at first, but had a great time.
Possibly the biggest highlight of my year was being asked to write a monthly column about reducing food waste for Vegetarian Living magazine. It’s the UK’s best-selling veggie food mag and I am still soooo thrilled to see my column in print each month. I love writing it and creating recipes that use up parts of plants that may otherwise go to waste, seasonally abundant foods or foraged plants. Every time I pass the magazine in a supermarket or newsagent, I just want to dance around with it and tell everyone that I write for them :).
I’ve had a few celebrity fans this year. Nigella instagrammed my Pea and Vanilla Cake to her followers and TV presenter Fearne Cotton is following me and keeps liking my posts. Michelin-recommended vegetarian restaurant Vanilla Black have been so friendly on twitter and just yesterday said of me “I think you are the best blogger, way better than the rest.” – woo hoo!
I was in a few magazines, including full interviews in Stella (The Sunday Telegraph), Sorted Food and Veg Living, plus recipes in quite a few publications from Grazia and Cosmopolitan, to Marie Claire and The Daily Mail. I’m also currently a grand finalist in the Food Magazine awards for best food blogger. Wish me luck!
Last year had it’s ups and downs. Things made me laugh and things made me cry, but it’s nice to look back over the highlights and see how far I’ve come.
Anyway, enough about me, without further ado here are my Top 15 Sweet and Savoury Recipes of 2015:
My top five most popular recipes posted in 2015 were….
1. Chocolate Cauliflower Cake with Salted Cinnamon Caramel Icing
2. Chocolate Mashed Potato Cake with Tahini Drizzle
3. Spiralised Courgette / Zucchini Fettuccini with Pea and Mint Sauce (vegan)
4. Carrot Cake Protein Balls (vegan)
5. Red Pepper Shakshuka
6. Farro, Chickpea, Mushroom and Kale Stew (vegan)
7. Turmeric Mango Lassi with Candied Black Pepper Almonds
8. Watermelon and Feta Salad with Quick Sumac Yogurt Flatbreads
9. Zesty Orange Chia Pancakes with Kiwi (vegan)
10. Slow Cooker Beet Chocolate Cake with Beet Vanilla Frosting
11. Sweet Potato, Kale and Wild Garlic Salad
12. Jerusalem Artichoke (Sunchoke) Banana Cake with Maple Yogurt Drizzle
13. Cucumber and Lemon Popsicles (vegan)
14. Sparkling Kale Lemonade (vegan)
15. Cucumber and Lemon Cupcakes with Boozy Pimms Icing
My all-time top recipe is Kale and Apple Cake, with over 65,000 views this year. You lot love a kale cake and sooooo many people have been in contact to tell me that they’ve tried the recipe and how much they enjoyed it! Keep an eye out for my vegan version coming soon.
Thanks to all of my lovely readers for your comments, shares, likes, and sharing with me whenever you make my recipes. Mwah to you all, K xx