These buckwheat pancakes have beetroot and blueberries, giving then a wonderful pink colour and lovely subtle flavour.
These pancakes make a beautiful, healthy, pink treat for Valentine’s breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert. That’s the great thing about pancakes, they can be eaten any time of day. When the kids want to cook their own dinner, often it will be spinach and cheese pancakes, or if they want a treat or dessert, they can make beetroot or carrot cake pancakes.
These buckwheat pancakes are a lovely way to say ‘I love you’ and this is one pink confection that is free from the evils of food colouring. My little ones have spent the week in the run up to Valentine’s Day making heart stamps out of empty toilet rolls, a heart mobile and nearly everything we’ve eaten has been cut with heart cookie cutters (except the ‘snowman’mashed potatoes – the kids won’t let me mess with those).
Crafternoons are pretty hardcore around here, so hearty (boom, boom) buckwheat pancakes are a great way to start or end the day, particularly when they’re pink and heart shaped. The batter for these is quite thin, so is easy to pipe or pour into a heart shape if you wish. Roll them up around icecream or whipped cream for dessert or drizzle them with chocolate sauce or raspberry coulis – there are so many options. You could also adapt this recipe into beet-filled fluffy American-style pancakes.
Oh, and see that gorgeous vintage butter dish in the pictures? I accidentally smashed it yesterday. I can’t tell you how barbaric it now feels to use a plastic butter container.
Oxo Good Grips kindly sent me an omelette turner to try out, and it’s fab. Why aren’t all flippers/turners shaped like this? The thin flexible edge makes my usual flipper feel like turning pancakes with a snowplough.
Recipe adapted from Doves Farm
Get the recipe for Beetroot, Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes
- 115g ( ¾ cup) buckwheat flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large free range egg
- 1 cooked beet, pureed (about 3 tablespoons)
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 50g ( ½ stick) butter, melted
- 100g ( ½ cup) blueberries
- 1 tablespoon oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, add the flour, salt and sugar and stir to combine. Beat in the egg and beetroot puree, then slowly beat in the milk a little at a time.
- Set the batter aside to rest for at least an hour.
- Stir the melted butter into the batter, then add the blueberries and gently mix.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Drop tablespoonfuls of batter into the pan and allow to spread out. Cook until golden, then turn and cook the other side. Repeat with remaining batter.
Looking for more vegetable pancake recipes? Try my dark chocolate courgette/zucchini pancakes with maple yogurt!