Sweet risotto is similar to traditional rice pudding. This beet chocolate risotto is warming, comforting and delicious.
Let’s blur the lines between rice pudding and risotto, shall we?
Let’s stir the pot of glutenous rice, not with wine and stock, but with hot vanilla-infused coconut milk. Let’s ladle and stir, ladle and stir until the grains of risotto rice are so swollen, squidgy and plump with the sweet liquid that they can’t possibly take any more. Then stir in some gloriously vibrant pureed beetroot because, well, we need some vegetables in our desserts. Drizzle it with melted chocolate and tuck in with a delicate spoon. It’s a rich, sweet, decadent vegan vegetable dessert.
This is comfort food au moderne, people.
- 250g (1 ½ cups, about 3 beets) beetroot, cooked
- 400ml (13.5 fl oz, 1 can) coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 50 g (¼ cup) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g (1 cup) risotto rice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 50g (1.75 oz) dark chocolate
- Puree the cooked beets until smooth and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the coconut milk with 1 cup of water, sugar and vanilla. When hot, turn off the heat but keep on the stove.
- In a large saucepan, heat the rice and coconut oil for a few minutes, stirring to coat evenly. When hot, add a ladle of water and stir until absorbed. Add a ladle of the coconut milk and stir constantly until absorbed. Continue adding ladles of coconut milk, ensuring each one is fully absorbed before adding the next one. It should take about 25 minutes. Stir in the pureed beetroot and heat.
- Melt the chocolate and drizzle over the beet risotto. Serve immediately.
Don’t let your vegetables go to waste! If you have more beetroot to use up, try one of these recipes: